Friday 2 December 2011

Ups and Downs of My Day

I'll start with the downers, because then I can finish on a positive note.  There aren't too many 'downs' anyway, which is good. 

So, for the last three days at work, one of my co-workers has been really snotty and rude to me. 

My co-worker can be a really nice person, but in the last while, she's just been so unkind sometimes.  I try not to take it personally, but it's pretty hard not to.  She never says 'hello' unless I initiate a greeting, and she only ever talks to me if it's about work.  Yesterday, though I asked her if she would do something, and she said "I don't know.  Whatever."  Then she just walked away.  I was hurt and got teared-up.  I don't know how I've ended up on her bad side or how I deserved that treatment.  I wanted to say something to her today, but things were less tense today, so I just left it.  I think I do need to talk to her though...  I don't want to feel this animosity between us.  I have to admit though, that I participate in talking about her with other co-workers.  It's just that she gets to rude with us sometimes, so we just have to roll our eyes...  I know it's partly my own fault, because I should have talked to her about the things which have been bothering me, but instead I've just let them fester and get worse. 

So that's one downer.  The other is this. 

I forget what it's like to spend time with someone who really enjoys my company. 

I guess it's not everyone, but it's my brother, especially.  Again, I'm trying not to take it personally, but it's hard not to.  He never initiates a hug with me anymore - he may not need hugs, but I certainly do...  He hardly smiles at me.  He never wants to spend time with me - he always leaves the room as soon as he's finished his supper or finished whatever task he has to do.  When he is in the same room as me, he's either on his phone, texting, or else he's on his computer, playing video games or surfing the 'net.  Tonight, we played a game of Cribbage - I asked if he wanted to play a game, and he said "whatever".  So we played Cribbage, but the whole time, he was answering texts and hardly ever smiled.  Neither of us were fulled engaged in the game, I'd say - I left to change from my work clothes, he got up to put away the leftovers, etc.  Any kind of conversation would have been pretty impossible.  When I asked if he wanted to play another game, he declined and said he had to go study.  He may have intended to study, but I know he just ended up on his computer, surfing the 'net or to watching shows.  I heard him laughing out loud in his room.  He find his computer more entertaining company than me, I guess. 

So, only two major downers.

And here are the "ups" of today.  I had some chance encounters which made for a nicer day.  I was running an errand on my coffee break, and I came across a lady in a wheelchair who needed help being wheeled inside.  The wind was gusty and cold, so I asked if I could help, and she really appreciated it.  Later, after work I was on my way home, but changed my mind and decided to meet some work friends at the downtown mall.  Instead of busing there, I walked, which only took about 20 minutes, but in the process, I got some much needed down-time and fresh air.  I also got to see a beautiful sunset which I might otherwise have missed seeing.  And I passed a guy who said, "Hey, Beautiful" to me.  I kept walking, but said hello back.  He asked how I was and I said I was good.  It was nice to be called 'beautiful', and he didn't seem insincere.  Then I got to spend some time at the mall outside of work with two coworkers who are both such fun, nice girls.  We shopped for make-up for one of the girls.  (I should have asked my coworker friend for a make-up consult for myself too.)  Then I bussed home (caught my bus right away) and read my book on the ride home. 

Most days have ups and downs, I suppose.  And I guess it's good to try and focus on the good things, instead of the bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment